Pancard is a unique identification number which tells a lot about your financial history as it is also linked to CIBIL report in India. Pan card has your PAN which stands for Permanent Account Number and is a 10 digit Alphanumeric number which is a means to identify the Tax Payer on the Computer system.
Pan is a 10 digit alphanumeric code meaning that it is a combination of alphabets and numerical. PAN Card will have the Details like PAN Number, Full Name, Father’s Name, Date of birth, Photograph and Signature of the PAN Card Holder.
What is a PAN?
Issued by the Income Tax Department to a Individual or to a Corporate Body and is andatory for all the Financial Transactions like
- To Open a Bank Account and Demat Account
- To Deposit or to Transfer the More than Rs.50,000 in the Bank.
- For Tax Payment.
PAN Number Decoded
- First 3 Digits – Alphabet Series running from AAA to ZZZ.
- Fourth Digit – Represents the Status and depends on Status of the Assessee:
1. P – Person
2. C – Company
3. H – Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
4. F – Firm
5. G – Government
- 5th Digit – First Character of the assessee’s Last Name or Surname.
- 6th to 9th Digit – Represents the Sequential number Series from 0001 to 9999.
- 10th or Last Digit – Alphabetic Check Digit
Example: PAN Number : AAAPK5698Q and Name: Sanjeev Kumar
- AAA – Represents the Alphabet Series
- P – Status of the Person as Individual
- K – First Letter of the Surname [Kumar]
- 5698 – Represents the Number Series 0001 to 9999
- Q – Check Alphabet
You can apply for the PAN Card online or offline. To Apply online You can use the following Links.
(Remember to remove word dot from the link and replace with actual)
No doubt Pancard is an important document and one must keep it safely or as a matter of fact one can keep the original at home safely and keep the colour Photostat duly laminated with person to avoid loss of original card. You can check out MICR code on a cheque book to understand its numbering system. Same can be also said about the credit card numbering system which will help you to better understand the numbering system in financial world.