Ministry of Finance (Department of Economic affairs) vide their order number F.No.5(1)-B(PD)/2012 dtd 22 May 12 has published in Part-I Section of GAZETTE OF INDIA that Provident fund rates have been revised upwards to 8.8% from current provident fund rate of 8.6%. Have a look at the whole order below which is applicable for central govt employees:
The order for Provident funds rate revision is as following:
It is announced for general information that during the year 2012-2013, accumulations at the credit of subscribers to the General Provident Fund and other similar funds shall carry interest at the rate of 8.8% (Eight point eight per cent) per annum. This rates will be in force during the financial year beginning on 1.4.2012.
The likely beneficiaries of this order are as appended below:
1. The General Provident Fund (Central Services).
2. The Contributory Provident Fund (India).
3. The All India Services Provident Fund.
4. The State Railway Provident Fund.
5. The General Provident Fund (Defence Services).
6. The Indian Ordnance Department Provident Fund.
7. The Indian Ordnance Factories Workmen’s Provident Fund.
8. The Indian Naval Dockyard Workmen’s Provident Fund.
9. The Defence Services Officers Provident Fund.
10. The Armed Forces Personnel Provident Fund.
So, enjoy higher rates while the sun shines and it is a good return as no income tax is deducted on interest received on provident fund.